About Me

My photo
My name is Jeannie. I am a Mommy/Wife by day and a Registered Nurse by night.

3.04.2009

Blessed+Stressed= DISCLAIMER: LONG POST

Let me begin by saying that I realize how blessed I am. I am grateful for all that I have, however, I am a complainer. Always have been, always will be. I am also a worrier; constantly preparing myself for the worst. This causes me a heap of unnecessary stress in my life. So, after nursing school was over, I thought to myself... "Finally, I am done and I can get paid for all of the work I have been doing! Woohoo." Hmmm, yeah, woohoo.... NURSING IS SO FREAKIN HARD!

Allow me to begin where I left off. I graduated from nursing school, began my training at St. Joe's and registered for my NCLEX. The NCLEX aka state boards is the test that must be passed in order to obtain a license. So, before taking this exam, you have your degree in nursing. After you take this exam, you have your degree in nursing and you are also a Registered Nurse, commonly known as a RN. This exam is the scariest most freaky thing ever and I think it almost gave me a heart attack...literally. Every nurse has their story... this is my NCLEX story:

It all started with my support system...JASON. Poor, poor Jason did not know that when he asked me to marry him, he was in deed asking for sleepless nights of a crazy basket-case wife pouring her stressed out soul to him time and time again. He is such a good sport. He kept telling me, "Jeannie, I know you are going to pass, I don't have a doubt in my mind, I know you."
I seriously have issues, because I had the nerve to reply with, "Oh my gosh Jason, I don't need the added pressure, Ugh!" He was doomed no matter what he said to me. Poor unfortunate soul. I love this guy, and I am so grateful for the relationship we have.
Test time: February 12, 2009 2:00 p.m.

I knew this test time for about a month prior to taking it. I was stressed about it every single second of every day. After all, if I didn't pass it, I was not going to be a Registered Nurse, and basically all of that hard work in school was for nothing....no big deal right? When I woke up the morning of T-Day I felt like I was going to heave. I felt so sick to my stomach from all of the nerves. Everyone told me, "don't study the day of the test, just allow yourself to relax and absorb all that you have learned." Pffff. Yeah right, I had to channel the sick-stress somewhere. So from 4 a.m. to about 1 p.m. I was hitting the books. When I showed up to the testing center, they couldn't have freaked me out more.

Front Desk Lady: "SIGN IN AND PUT ALL OF YOUR BELONGINGS IN THE LOCKER, SPIT OUT YOUR GUM AND SIT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA.....SMILE.... OKAY YOU CAN SMILE NOW"

Me: "I am smiling."

Okay, 1 point front desk lady, 0 points Jeannie. I got the picture above in the mail a few days later...
They offered me ear plugs before taking the exam, and I totally took them up on that offer. However, when I put the plugs in, I could hear my heart pounding, so I had to remove them... it was distracting. FYI The NCLEX is a computer adaptive test. What this means is that you can get asked 75-265 questions; once the computer has figured out the level of difficulty that you can operate, it shuts off. This means, you have no clue how you did. Mine luckily shut off at 75 questions. Pass or Fail, at least it was over.


The next day, I checked online....I PASSED! YES! I even have this cool red name tag to prove it!


Getting ready for my first day after becoming Jeannie Blake, RN. Okay, so I am a little OCD... big deal. Jason found me like this, I don't like wrinkles on my scrubs! Being a RN is very challenging, I feel so inadequate most of the time. To be honest, I'm so scared of this job, but I just try to move forward and carry on the best that I can.



And finally... I was watching "The View" today and Dr. Phil was a guest. I don't really like this Phil character, but apparently I am taking his advice now. He said, you shouldn't bring kids into the world with a job to do. So, like, um, if you are trying to fill some sort of void in your life by having a child, it really isn't the right reason to be having one. I started to feel guilty because Boris, my doggie, takes on a lot of stress from me. I am always sitting by him on the couch and talking to him. I mean, he's a dog, he should be doing dog things. He has gotten me through some tough times. Throughout all of my studying, tests, stress and challenges, this little guy has been by my side absorbing it all. Shout out to dogs everywhere! Okay, so maybe I missed Phil's point...? Whatever, it was the only way I could relate.



19 comments:

logan said...

jason i couldve warned you about all of this.
all you have to do is talk to her dad.
he is point on about jeannie.....every time.

sorry jeans. ha ha

congrats on the test thats way cool.
could you give me a mammogram?
oh and let me know how those old men are doing and you know what i mean.

novel here. we all need to hang out sometime.
bye.

mattnalisa said...

I am glad you found my blog! I just graduated from nursing school and took the nclex like two days before you! crazy!! Sadly, I still haven't found a job but hopefully soon. Congrats on grad, passing boards and your job!

Brea said...

Oh my dear Jeannie... That looks like a HEAVY load to carry! I am so happy for you, and congrats on passing the test! Woo-Hoo! see it all pays out in the end! :)

I didn't know that you hung out with Aryn! what a small world! haha Oh and I totally agree with you about doggies! I don't know what I would do without mine to listen to my problems and just let me talk, cry, and then kiss my face and not have a CLUE what I said but I know he doesn't judge me AT ALL! it's the best! :)

Rachel said...

i am dying laughing right now. i loved this post. i laughed out loud like 4 times. congrats on passing and i must say you look pretty darn hot in your scrubs. my dad was at st lukes last week, where do you work there?

The Blakes said...

I work on the neuro acute unit, it's on the 6th floor. Our patients consist of brain tumors/cancer, brain surgeries, spinal surgeries, post trauma etc. Anything with the spine or brain basically.

Anonymous said...

Please accept my congratulations on becoming a nurse.

I am pleased to welcome you to the nursing profession!

Jami said...

I am laughing out loud! Seriously, you are a crack up!
The reason it is so funny, is b/c I am sitting here studying like a mad woman...and I am pretty sure that going back to school has made me have heart problems. No Joke!
Oh, and the picture they took was SO FUNNY!
AND, I feel the same way about my husband. When we were dating I was so fun, and laid back. HA...He seriously has his work cut out for him being my husband. I don't know how many night he has to stay up and listen to me have panic attacks over STUPIED things.
AND (this is getting long, but I always love long comments) I love dogs too. And don't worry about stressing your dog out...it will be fine!

Josh and Elisha said...

Congrats girl! I totally knew you would pass because you are so smart. I would love to have you as my nurse any day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Logan! I really appreciate the support. Jeannie is still in denial about this fact, but I really know my girl. Liv knows it too!

Daddy David

Krystal Allen Payne said...

K so the netti pot. It so works and if you do it right, and it may take a couple trys, you don't even taste a thing. Seirously it is amazing. I recomend it to everyone!! It Changed my life girl!

*Becky* said...

Congrats on passing your NCLEX! You gave me a lot of anxiety for when it's my turn. Thanks a lot! No i"m kidding!! You'll be an awesome nurse! you know your stuff.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of you as a worrier. Guess you hide it well. I have always known you as the fun & outgoing girl. I'm so happy that you passed the test and that you can now make the BIG BUCKERS $$$!! What a relief I'm sure. I wish that you were my Nurse right now. The nurses here at Mayo are quite grouchy and not the best. I like the younger ones better! I feel bad about not being able to do lunch on Wed. But, I honestly was not feeling well. I had a doctors appt. on Fri and they did an emergency surgery on my Leg. I have another Major Surgery March 18th. Let's try to do lunch again soon tho. I miss your face! xoxo <3

Allie said...

Congratulations! I can't imagine how stressful and hard it must have been to become an RN. Good for you!

Your puppy is SO cute! I want one so bad. I always steel Beans to come sleep with me when I've had a hard day.

Olivia Shill said...

where is dodies??

Candi said...

Oh dearest Jeannie! You are so funny!
The picture of you right before your test, ha ha priceless!
Im a stress and worrier too! I know how it feels, its built in you! Well I'm so glad you passed! You are going to be a great Nurse!!!
Congrats

Candi said...

I totally forgot to comment on your pictures! Opps, so here is another comment by me:

I love your pictures, you guys are so adorable! My far my favorite one is the top one on your page. I love the fact that your puppy is just chillin in the back ground.

The Blakes said...

Thanks Candi:) My BF Kami (Dewitt)Stratton has taken up photography. So, lucky us, for fun she took some pictures for us. It was soooo nice of her. I put up a link on the side of my blog "photos by kami." She's awesome if you ever need pictures for anything:)

deborah b. said...

Jeannie!!!! how the heck are you girl? seriously, it has been forever. we should get together and play... have a little reunion. haha i miss the old school days. im glad that we can be blog friends now and congratulations times infinity on becoming an RN... YOU TOTALLY ROCK!

Krystal Arnett said...

Oh Jeannie, seriously you are hilarious and I love you. That pick of you "smiling" on your test day is priceless. I can see the pure fear on your face. I am so proud of you; you are my hero. I can't wait to play with again soon! BTW I saw all the pics Kami took of you guys on her blog. So cute, you guys look like models :)